Sunday, July 16, 2006

New Conflict, #2

FRIDAY, 1:30PM

Following a dull Sabbath day, Lebanon began unleashing rockets at Haifa around 8:15AM, and overseas students have been confined to the fortified shelters in our respective suites. To my knowledge, eight Israelis are dead, and around the same number have been seriously wounded.

I don’t have much more to report, really… just a bunch of guys hanging out in my room (I have the fortified one) faffing about until the next announcement. To tell the truth, we’re about bored out of our minds. My morning’s pinnacle event probably was completing my first victorious game of mindsweeper – on intermediate difficulty – after my Swedish suitemate taught me how to play.

The biggest worry here is less about continued rocket rounds and more that Syria, with bigger; more accurate rockets, might get involved. People say that Syrian involvement could also drag in the Iranians, and you can guess what that would mean. But people could be wrong. I hope they are. I am trying my best not to get too involved with any of the various rumors flying around.

The Hizbullah seem to have taken a break, as nothing has landed here for the past hour or so. It could be an effort to adjust or hide firing positions to avoid Israeli counterstrikes.

1:58PM

If Hizbullah really was taking a break, it has ended. The city’s missile alarms rang out a minute or so ago, and we’re just waiting for more sounds of explosions, still locked in the fortified rooms. David Gray’s “Babylon” is playing on my computer, a title that feels appropriate for a time of increasing Jewish strife. We will be meeting in the Muadon auditorium when the present alarm ends for an educated update on the situation.

3:15PM

The University has decided to close and transplant us in Jerusalem, where we will stay for three days as the situation develops. Many, maybe 20, have already decided to leave Israel altogether… I am determined to stick it out, even I have to stay further south for a while.

Unfortunately we will be able to continue formal studies in Jerusalem, though I may be able to brush up on the little Hebrew I have picked up while there. It’s nice to know we’ll be somewhere safe(r), not to mention beautiful and fascinating. I am looking forward to what promises to be a stimulating and more relaxed three days. I expect we will know our next step by Wednesday. For now, it’s off to the bus for a three hour tour south. Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home